The Shane Stanford Bursary for Black Youth
Shane Stanford Bursary for Black Youth is proudly offered by the YMCA of Greater Toronto and provides one Black youth community leader with $2,500 to further their post-secondary education.
Who Can Apply
Applicants must meet the following scholarship eligibility requirements:
- Identify as a member of the Black community.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee who resided in the Greater Toronto Area (Durham Region, City of Toronto, York Region, Peel Region, Halton Region) during their last year of high school.
- Are currently enrolled in post-secondary studies in the 2023–2024 academic year at an eligible institution*:
- Post-secondary programs must be at least one year in duration
- There are no restrictions on the discipline or field of study
*Eligible institutions are Canadian educational institutions that have recognized provincial degree/diploma-granting powers or their affiliates (e.g., vocational schools, colleges, universities).
How to Apply
Please fill out the application form to apply for the Shane Stanford Bursary for Black Youth.
Be prepared to provide your contact information and answer the following questions:
- Why do you feel you are a good candidate for the Shane Stanford Bursary?
- Please describe your community involvement, leadership, mentorship of others, and/or volunteer work.
- This bursary is intended to support individuals with higher financial needs. Please describe any financial circumstances that may be a factor in considering your application (i.e. family status, financial situation).
- What are your motivations and aspirations beyond post-secondary education?
We recommend drafting your responses in a separate document and copying and pasting your answers into the application form. You cannot save half-finished forms and must fill in and submit the completed form in one sitting.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Application deadline: December 1, 2023
Recipient selected: Mid-December 2023
The recipient of the 2023 Shane Stanford Bursary for Black Youth will be announced publicly after December 21, 2023.
About Shane Stanford
Shane Stanford was a long-time and beloved YMCA of Greater Toronto employee at the Central YMCA whose life was tragically cut short on October 7, 2020. Shane began his career as a co-op student at our Y while pursuing his post-secondary education. After his co-op as a Camp Counsellor, Shane earned his way to a full-time Individual Conditioning Specialist position. He aspired to be a General Manager at one of our Centres of Community. Shane devoted himself to his communities by providing opportunities and promoting health and wellness through mentorship and leadership of members — particularly children and youth. He was the epitome of caring and inclusivity, enabling him to build meaningful connections and rich relationships with employees and members.
We thank everyone for their interest and for helping us honour Shane’s memory.