Before & After School Care
A Licensed Child Care program that offers children ages 4 to 12 a fun and safe way to begin and end every school day. With over 200 locations throughout the GTA, our Before and After School programs operate from September through June every year.
About Before & After School Programs
We currently offer:
- Programs at over 200 locations
- Licensed child care for children up to 12 years of age at select locations
- Standard hours of operation, Monday to Friday from 7 am until school bell, and after school until 6 pm
Kindergarten Extended Day Program (Ages 4 and 5)
- Designed for children attending full-day kindergarten (ages 4 to 5)
- Small Group Ratios - 1:13
- Program follows the YMCA Playing to Learn™ Curriculum and Ministry of Education Extended Day Program guidelines
- Staff writes monthly documentations highlighting learning that occurred during a play experience
- Regular communications between Registered Early Childhood Educators and school's kindergarten teachers provide for a seamless delivery of the program curriculum
- Opportunities to discover and explore in spaces that support and encourage social, emotional, cognitive and physical development
- Our program expands young children's knowledge about:
- Kindergarten topics
- Exploring the indoors and outdoors
- Creating with the arts
- Discovering science
- Engaging in mathematics and literacy activities
- Developing social skills, gross and fine motor skills and problem solving
School Age Programs (Ages 6 to 12)
- Small Group Ratios - 1:15 ( 6-8 years old) or 1:20 (9-12 years old)
- Program follows the YMCA A Place to Connect™ Curriculum
- Children are actively engaged with Registered Early Childhood Educators to create program plans based on children’s interests
- Program provides opportunities for a minimum of 45 minutes of daily physical activity in safe, healthy environments that encourage and guide children to develop friendships
- Program provides opportunities for leadership development and helping children learn new skills
- Opportunities for homework assistance
- Fun, club-like environment that promotes a sense of belonging, with opportunities for children to discover more about themselves and their community
Licensed School Break Child Care
Located in our child care centres, Licensed School Break Child Care allows children 4 to 12 to enjoy opportunities to play and learn during March, Summer and Winter break timing. Based on YMCA curricula, the program promotes development of important life skills like leadership and team-building through fun games and activities including arts and crafts, sports and group projects.
*This program is available to families currently registered in a YMCA Licensed Child Care program only. Canada-wide Early Learning and Child Care (CWELCC) discounts will be applied to eligible fees upon registration.
You May Also Like
Caring for a family in crisis
"When Evelyn turned two, news came that no one can prepare for: her father, Derek, had cancer.
“The Y offered us support at every turn,” says her mom, Helen. “Evelyn’s care was the one thing we never had to worry about.”
When Derek passed away, on top of everything else, Helen suddenly had to adjust to living on a single income. The Y stepped in with financial assistance, helping maintain a familiar, loving environment for Evelyn. “They provided us with stability while we were dealing with so much.”
When you donate to the Y, you help provide financial assistance for families like Evelyn’s, giving them access to care and support when they need it most.