Personal Finance: I'm In Charge
Dear future me - this ongoing financial literacy series has set me up for success! It’s about being my best. About me enjoying life and being in charge. Planning my education. Signing a cellphone contract. I’ve got tips and tricks to save money and eat well. I see myself finding an apartment and paying my rent. Credit savvy and spending wisely.
It’s an investment thing. And it’s about more than money.
Treat your future self to a FREE online workshop on these topics and more.
A Best-Self Financial Literacy Series for Young People
Dear Future Me is a virtual and in-person series of interactive workshops by the YMCA of Greater Toronto, powered by Desjardins. Treat your future self to a free workshop, including a chance to win prizes. Gain a Certificate of Completion. View Workshop Calendar for quick and easy registration.
Workshops cover a variety of topics, activities and hands-on exercises. Topics easily relate to everyday life, including:
- Buying and saving
- Finding an apartment
You can view the workshop descriptions on this page below the calendar section
Upcoming Workshops Calendar
Benefit from a wide range of financial literacy workshops – click on the workshop title on the calendar and register now!
Transportation: On the right track
- Explore the myths, realities and costs of different means of transportation and choose the one that’s right for you and your budget
- Identify the factors that influence the type of transportation you take
Education: An investment for your future
- Learn how to plan for your education
- Explore and determine ways to pay for it
- Learn about different grants, scholarships and student loans
Buying and Saving: How to make room for both!
- Learn the key considerations of a well-planned purchase
- Explore different ways to save
- Identify the key aspects of being a responsible consumer and the specific role that savings plays in your life and goals
Food: Tips and Tricks to Save
- Factor the cost of food into your budget
- Spot the marketing strategies used in supermarkets
- Find cheaper alternatives and ways to save
Finding an Apartment: Your Key Considerations
- Learn about how to find a place to live
- Evaluate different housing options according to your needs, your lifestyle and your ability to pay
- Learn about the lease and a rental agreement
Cellphones: Getting a clearer picture
- Know what to consider when shopping for and using a cellphone
- Learn how to assess your needs based on your ability to pay and the available plans
Investment: Investing is about more than making money!
- Understand the impacts of the financial choices you make
- Start thinking about how to choose investments based on your profile and future plans
Credit: The more you know, the better
- Understand how credit works, how it fits into a budget and how to use it responsibly
- Learn about different types of credit cards, what they cost and how they work