Adult Aquatics Assistant
|Minimum one day a week for at least two hours for six months.
|Available at various YMCA Health and Fitness Centres in the Greater Toronto Area.
Our flexible, customized approach to aquatics means that there’s something for everyone, from those learning to take their first strokes to hard-core water fitness enthusiasts.
Major Duties May Include:
- Assisting Aquatics staff in providing members registered in the swim program healthy opportunities to learn and improve their swim skills.
- Assisting in a variety of roles to support Aquatics staff including attendance, equipment set-up and cleaning, change room supervision and the like.
- Being positive, helpful and welcoming at all times.
- Building relationships with members and introduce them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Delivering YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care.
- Minimum age 18.
- Volunteers in this role will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Previous participation or experience in the YMCA Learn to Swim program preferred.
- Bronze Medallion and or Bronze Cross Certification preferred.
- YMCA Assistant Swim Instructor Course Certification preferred.
- Standard First Aid And CPR – B Training preferred.
- Strong swimming skills required with high comfort level in a pool environment.
- Make a difference by ensuring everyone has a positive experience in the pool.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Develop communication and interpersonal skills with children, parents, members and other staff.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.