Assessment Centre Assistant
|Minimum two hours a week for three months during centre hours Monday –Friday. Our office at Toronto Central Grosvenor may have opportunities in the weekend.
|Bloor Street E YMCA, Etobicoke YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services, Lansing Square YMCA Immigrant Services, North York YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services, Scarborough YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services.
With five locations across Toronto, the YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centres (CLARS) support immigrants who require English or French language assessment. These tests are based on nationally recognized standards that measures speaking, listening, reading and writing which are administered by Certified Language Assessors in order to place learners in government-funded language programs. Assessment Centre Assistants partner with staff to support the day to day operations of the CLARS program.
Major Duties May Include:
- Conducting phone calls in a friendly and professional manner.
- Helping with translation or interpretation for clients with lower levels of English proficiency.
- Supervising the Assessment Centre’s reading and writing room to ensure clients are following assessment protocols.
- Creating a welcoming environment for members which includes greeting clients, providing information about parking, directions, duration of assessment, child minding, and other aspects related to the general procedure of the language assessment and referral service.
- Recording attendance and directing members to relevant service staff on site based on client’s needs.
- Researching in various topics in order to update centre’s resources and assisting with special events.
- Minimum age 15.
- Volunteers 18 years of age or older will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Strong ability to relate with diverse clientele.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; be sensitive to client’s/member’s needs.
- Basic knowledge of computer skills and office equipment.
- Intermediate to advance English language skills.
- Knowledge of second language is an asset.
- Ability to work and multi-task within a team setting in a fast paced environment
- Acceptance and adherence to YMCA values and local centre’s policies and procedures.
- Make a difference in the lives of people in your community.
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills with members and other staff.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Gain valuable Canadian work experience.
- Lean about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.