Child Youth and Family Sports League Assistant
|Minimum time commitment of one league session (approximately two hours a week for 15 weeks). League start and end time vary by sport and location.
|Brampton YMCA, Central YMCA, Cooper Koo YMCA, Markham YMCA, Mississauga YMCA, North York YMCA, Oshawa YMCA, Scarborough YMCA, The Steve & Sally Stavro Family YMCA, Vaughan YMCA, West End YMCA
The Child Youth and Family Programs department organizes registered sports league programs for children and youth aged 5-17. Each sports league runs weekly and sessions last approximately 15 weeks. Participants will get the opportunity build their skills, confidence and meet new people while having fun playing sports. Sports League Assistants will partner with staff to make sure that gameplay runs smoothly and effectively so that participants have a positive experience.
Major Duties May Include:
- Assisting with gameplay by taking attendance, keeping score, monitoring time, recording participant statistics or refereeing when applicable.
- Setting up and taking down of equipment.
- Maintaining a safe, clean and inclusive environment.
- Building relationships with members by introducing them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Delivering YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care.
- Minimum age 13.
- Volunteers age 18 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Knowledge or experience playing sports such as basketball, soccer etc.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well with others.
- The following skills and experience are considered assets for this position:
- First Aid / CPR an asset.
- Experience working with children or youth age 5-17 an asset.
- Learn how sports programs are delivered in the community
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Gain valuable Canadian experience.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.