Child, Youth & Family Instructional Programs Volunteer
|Minimum time commitment of six months.
|Brampton YMCA, Central YMCA, Cooper Koo YMCA, Markham YMCA, Mississauga YMCA, North York YMCA, Oshawa YMCA, Scarborough YMCA, The Steve & Sally Stavro Family YMCA, Vaughan YMCA, West End YMCA
The YMCA is a place where you can be yourself, meet new friends and have fun. Our Health and Fitness Centres support members as they strive to reach their potential and work toward their personal goals. Our instructional programs for children, youth and families provide a safe, welcoming and inclusive space to build a foundation for physical fitness that will last a lifetime by helping kids get active and have fun.
Major Duties May Include:
- Providing children and youth aged 3 to 15 years a healthy experience to learn and play.
- Setting up and/or taking down of the program area.
- Supporting staff in providing quality instruction that aims to develop the participant’s skills in a fun way.
- Assisting with game play by taking attendance, keeping score and/or refereeing when applicable.
- Remaining positive, helpful and welcoming at all times.
- Building relationships with members and introduce them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Delivering YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care
- Minimum age 13.
- Volunteers age 18 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- At least six months experience working with children ages 3 to 15 years recommended.
- Experience or qualified training in the activity or sport preferred (ex. played in a league; coaching experience, took dance lessons, etc.).
- Standard First Aid And CPR – C Training is an asset.
- Make a difference in someone’s life by working with children and youth to improve their fitness and skill level.
- Opportunity to learn different skills for different sports.
- Practice in program planning.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.