Group Fitness Leader
|One hour per week for a minimum of six months. Teach a class at a fixed regular time, and/or be able to substitute for a class when possible.
|Brampton YMCA, Central YMCA, Cooper Koo YMCA, Markham YMCA, Mississauga YMCA, North York YMCA, Oshawa YMCA, Scarborough YMCA, The Steve & Sally Stavro Family YMCA, Vaughan YMCA, and West End YMCA.
YMCA group fitness classes are big, friendly workout parties that make exercise fun and inspiring. Certified instructors guide members through moves crafted to help tackle their fitness goals in record time. With upbeat playlists, fun-loving classmates, and motivating teachers, our group fitness classes will get you excited to hit the gym.
Major Duties May Include:
- Delivering a group fitness class in accordance with YMCA standards and values, within the scope of your training.
- Providing a quality group fitness class that includes all members regardless of age and ability.
- Providing a safe environment for participants.
- Communicating with other staff and volunteers.
- Attending trainings and meetings as required to ensure the overall quality and integrity of the Group Fitness program.
- Responding to or directing participant inquiries or concerns.
- Being positive, helpful and welcoming at all times.
- Building relationships with members and introducing them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Delivering YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care.
- Minimum age 16.
- Volunteers age 18 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Current YMCA Group Fitness Certification (or equivalent) with the designation in the stream the leader will be instructing which includes Choreography-based classes, Yoga, Pilates, Muscle Conditioning, Cycle, etc.
- Current First Aid and CPR A recommended.
- Strong communications skills.
- Team player who demonstrates initiative.
- Commitment to YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Learn to safely and effectively teach a fitness class.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Maintain a nationally recognized certificate, which allows you to teach in any YMCA in Canada.
- Create a supportive environment to help people improve and maintain their health and fitness.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.