Individual Conditioning Volunteer
|Flexible hours, with a minimum of one year commitment.
|Brampton YMCA, Central YMCA, Cooper Koo YMCA, Markham YMCA, Mississauga YMCA, North York YMCA, Oshawa YMCA, Scarborough YMCA, The Steve & Sally Stavro Family YMCA, Vaughan YMCA, West End YMCA.
At the YMCA, we're more than a gym. We're a place where you can be yourself, meet new friends and have fun. Our Health and Fitness Centres support members as they strive to reach their potential and work toward their goals as part of an inclusive, caring and healthy community. Our fitness centres feature modern equipment and amenities to make your workout as convenient and comfortable as possible. Volunteers in our conditioning area support staff and members by ensuring our spaces are safe and maintained, while providing customer service to members.
Major Duties May Include:
- Scanning the conditioning floor to ensure equipment is clean, in good repair and that safety hazards are removed.
- Providing general information to members around how to use equipment.
- Ensuring appropriate signage is posted.
- Treating all members, regardless of age with respect and enthusiasm.
- Building relationships with members and introduce them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Communicating with other staff and volunteers regarding any updates about the area.
- Responding to participant inquiries or concerns or directing them to staff.
- Delivering YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care.
- Taking action to ensure members are safe when participating at the YMCA.
- Remaining positive, helpful and welcoming at all times.
- Minimum age 13.
- Volunteers age 18 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Current First Aid/CPR recommended.
- Minimum Individual Conditioning Level 1.
- Strong communications skills.
- Team player and initiative.
- Commitment to YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Make a difference in someone’s life by helping them achieve their health and fitness goals.
- An opportunity to meet, network and help fellow volunteers in developing skills and confidence.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Development of communication and interpersonal skills with members and other staff.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.