Newcomer Information Centre Assistant
|Minimum 3 hours per week. Minimum three months commitment with an opportunity to expand as needed and agreed upon.
|Bloor Street E YMCA, Etobicoke YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services, North York YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services.
Newcomer Information Centres are a welcoming place for immigrants starting their new lives in Canada. Newcomers can access a great variety of free support and services here. As a volunteer, you are a part of our multicultural teams helping newcomers find useful information and helpful support in their settlement process in Canada.
Major Duties May Include:
- Supporting Information & Referral Specialists and the Administrative Staff Team.
- Performing Customer Service & Administrative tasks (compiling and organizing files, data entry).
- Researching and gathering information on different areas of settlement related services.
- Organizing and maintaining information resources.
- Assisting clients at resource area.
- Supporting Information & Referral Specialists in leading group discussion.
- Room set-up and handouts preparation for information sessions.
- Confirming participant registration for information sessions or workshops.
- Assisting staff withtranslation, interpretation and providing cultural expertise.
- Assisting in promoting NIC services through outreach activities in the communities.
- Minimum age 18.
- Successful applicants to this role will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary oftheir first day of volunteering.
- Intermediate to advanced English skills.
- Acceptance and adherence to YMCA values, policies, and procedures.
- Sensitivity in dealing with participants from a variety of cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Excellent research skills, and detail oriented.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge on office equipment and computer skills (Microsoft word, Internet).
- Responsible, punctual and friendly.
- Facilitation skills an asset.
- Second language an asset.
- Make a difference in the lives of people in your community.
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Enhance cross-cultural communications.
- Gain experience working with newcomers and newcomer organizations.
- Develop teamwork and leadership skills.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.