What to Expect Working at the Y
Whether you're looking for full-time, part-time or seasonal employment, our job options are as diverse as the people we serve.
Join our YMCA team and light the way for others
Join the Y and be a part of a highly engaged team ready to brighten the lives of children, teens, adults, families and older adults.
We're hiring for a range of rewarding roles, from child care educators and camp counsellors to employment specialists, case workers, life guards and personal trainers. Our work happens across the GTA and each program area has unique jobs and skills requirements. The YMCA is a large charity with many program support and strategy positions in areas like IT, Finance and Fundraising.
How Our Employees Support Communities
What to Expect Now that You’ve Applied
Thank you for applying for a job at the Y!
We will review your application carefully. Sometimes when we receive a high volume of applications, we may only reach out to you if you’ve been selected for an interview.
What You Can Expect During the Interview Stage
- All candidates are asked the same questions at each stage of the interview for a position.
- You may be asked to describe your past experience and skills related to the job to demonstrate your competencies.
- Some jobs may include testing or assignments as part of your skills assessment, and/or a second round interview.
- For all positions, we will assess your suitability for working with children and vulnerable people.
- We continually work to remove barriers to employment and are open to hearing from you about your needs.
- Please let us know if you require an accommodation during the interview process.
- We check references before extending an offer to finalist candidates. Typically, this will include three references from current or former employers. If you are a student or have limited work experience, you can also provide references from teachers or others in a position of trust.
- We recognize that three references without any prior work history can inadvertently create barriers during the hiring process. We allow candidates to submit other voluntary, committee or school references in addition to employment references.
- Job offers are conditional on a Police Records Check , in keeping with our responsibilities to protect children and vulnerable people. Results are assessed individually.
- We will also ask you to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check within the first four months of employment, and then again every three years.
- We will require proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption. Child care employees also have other vaccination requirements, established by the Ministry of Education.
YMCA Benefits Designed For You
You are the Spark
“Our team is like a family. The Y is a warm and supportive environment that has supported my professional development. As a YMCA Child Care Educator working with young children, I get to be a part of change in the world – we need a lot more kindness and compassion. I believe if you are able to ignite that spark in someone else, it will be paid forward. The impact of my job and work is long lasting, and that brings me so much joy.”
- Deanna, Early Childhood Educator (ECE)