Employment Programs Support
|Flexible shifts, Monday to Friday. Minimum one shift per week for three months. Each shift is approximately three hours.
|Etobicoke YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services, Pickering YMCA Employment and Community Services, Scarborough Milner YMCA Employment and Immigrant Services.
YMCA Employment Centres offer a variety of services to help youth and adults gain employment. Job seekers can benefit from our free employment programs and resources, attend free workshops and get one-on-one personalized support from our staff.
Major Duties May Include:
- Partnering with Job Skills Counsellors, Employment Resources Consultants and other YMCA staff to support job seekers.
- Assisting members in researching employment opportunities.
- Representing the YMCA at special events.
- Creating or co-presenting workshops on selected topics to inform session participants.
- Answering questions and providing additional information to members.
- Preparing materials and handouts required for workshop and creating/organizing member files.
- Conducting follow up calls with members.
- Translating for members with lower levels of English proficiency if applicable.
- For facilities with a resource centre:
- Helping members with the use of computers, fax machines, photocopiers, etc. and updating the job board.
- Minimum age 15.
- Successful applicants 18 years of age or older will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Strong ability to relate with diverse people.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; be sensitive to member’s needs.
- Proficiency with the use of computer and office equipment.
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English.
- Learn about job search and community resources available in your area.
- Make a difference in the lives of people in your community by supporting their employment goals.
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills.
- Gain valuable work experience.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values — kindness, well-being, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and optimism — the YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful positions and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity that ignites the potential in people, helping them grow, lead, and give back to their communities. As outlined in our 2020–2025 strategic plan, Ignite the Light, we are focused on boosting well-being and promoting equity across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In the future we see for our region, everyone will have opportunities to shine their brightest.
Mirroring the diversity we’re privileged to have in the GTA, our YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of our communities. For 170 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has provided opportunities for people to shine through a variety of programs and services including health and fitness, licensed child care, camps, employment and immigrant services, education and training, and services for youth, families, and seniors. When you donate to the YMCA of Greater Toronto, you help ensure more people get access to these vital programs that help them connect, grow, and reach their full potential.