How We Help
Our donors help the Y invest in neighbourhoods over the long term, sustainably delivering the core programs people rely on us for: child care, health and fitness, camps, and employment and immigrant services. But as our communities grow and change, so do we. Donations enable our Y to be responsive, adapting to meet the unique needs of our time.
Proven programs meeting urgent needs
- Shelters and drop-in centres where youth experiencing homelessness find a warm meal, safe place to sleep, and wrap-around supports.
- Immigrant settlement services that help newcomers find work, develop their language skills, and learn about their new home.
- Child care programs that enable parents to pursue their careers or education while their kids learn and grow in the care of trained experts.
- Health and fitness programs that help people of all ages and abilities support their physical and mental health.
- Camping and outdoor education programs that connect people with nature and help push them out of their comfort zones.
- Employment services that support job seekers navigating our precarious labour market.
Making an impact where it's needed most, for the people who need it most
Donations support our charity's research-backed approach to addressing critical issues and serving vulnerable groups in the GTA.
In planning our programs, services, and facilities, we take steps to determine a neighbourhood’s needs. We evaluate the area’s demographic composition, current health of the community, and viability of operating a Y in the area long term. Through this work, we identify specific groups that could benefit from access to YMCA services, such as newcomers, residents living on a low income, young families, youth at risk, and older adults.
Why it matters
Our research shows where there’s a Y, there’s better well-being. The whole community — both people who use our programs and those who don’t — experience better well-being, general and mental health, and a stronger sense of belonging when there’s a Y in their neighbourhood.
YMCA members are 19% more likely to have high life satisfaction.
Support causes you care about
Our donors support a wide range of YMCA programs and projects, investing in their local communities and making a difference in ways that are important to them. Find the cause that’s right for you.